Tuesday 24 March 2009

Results of the bird poll


(source: Wikipedia)

Peacock 48 votes
Penguin 27 votes
Flamingo 22 votes
Eagle 20 votes
Other 15 votes
Stork 9 votes


In comments and emails the following birds were suggested:
lorikeet (4x)
rosella (2x)
cockatoo (2x)
magpie (2x)
blue wren (2x)
pelican
brolga
emu
robin
galah
king parrot
bell bird

cassowary
malleefowl
swan
house sparrow
great tit


Thanks to everyone to took the time to vote, leave a comment or send an email!
The peacock is the obvious winner, but among the suggestions are some interesting choices. I want to portray a bird that I have actually seen IRL myself (which eliminates the brolga, bell bird and malleefowl) and that I have a special feeling for (which eliminates the house sparrow, I'm afraid).

The pelican is a bird I had been thinking about, I had almost included it in the poll. And the blue wren is definitely an option (it would have to be the superb fairy-wren though, not the splendid fairy-wren that I think is more beautiful but does not live in this part of Australia- and that I have never seen IRL). A quilt featuring several different birds is something I have considered, but I think I will stick to the 'single bird portraits' for now.

So... I'll probably start on a peacock quilt, but I haven't made up my mind yet, it may be another bird after all!

Yesterday I almost finished the journal quilt for March, but I ran out of black thread... I hope to buy some today and finish the quilt this evening. To be continued!

No comments: