Thursday 19 March 2009

Postcards, ATCs and haiku



I have started a selvedge quilt (will show pics soon) and have asked the ladies on the Dutch quiltersmailing list for selvedge strips. As a thank you I will send them a FQ or a fabric postcard, and so I have been making some postcards. The one at the top was made with a stencil bought at a hardware shop.

This one is made from a piece of fabric that I did last year for the Playing with Paint class at Quilt University.



It inspired me to free-motion quilt a pear on another card, which I then coloured in with a gold Paintstick. It turned into this ATC:



And as it happens I have just signed up for another ATC swap... The theme of the swap is Haiku; the idea is to make an ATC relating to a haiku. I have looked up lots of haiku on the internet and found them to be very inspiring. But here the ATC was first, so I googled 'pear haiku'... and found (among others) this one:

pear season they say
does not begin til august
but how could i wait

(Pinch My Salt)

I foresee a lot of ATCs, postcards and perhaps even some quilts inspired by haiku!
And I confess... I have written my very first haiku yesterday! I wrote it in Dutch, which is my first language after all, and in Dutch is has the 5-7-5 rhythm. In English it hasn't, but that does not seem to be a problem. Anyway, here it is:

zomeravonden
veel te warm om te slapen
overal muggen


summer nights
too hot to sleep
mozzies everywhere


;-)



PS If you have selvedges you'd like to donate, I'd be most grateful and happy to send you a FQ or a fiber postcard too. Send me an email (see my profile) and I'll let you know my address. Thanks!

1 comment:

Karoda said...

you can't go wrong with poetry and quilts.

i was showing a friend your card today and couldn't recall if i had told you it arrived! i hope i did, but it wouldn't surprise me if i've slacked...