Thursday 30 June 2011

Here's looking at you, kid



Today we unveil our Animal Kingdom quilts on the Art Quilts Around the World blog. This is mine, hanging in my sewing room. I would like to show you how it came about.

I wanted to use my new large screen for this quilt and thought of an interesting animal shape to screen print. Of course - a zebra! I found this copyright-free image on the internet:



I cropped it and printed it in A3 size using Posterazor. I traced the lines on freezer paper and cut out the white shapes - about an hour of work!



I ironed the freezer paper stencil to my screen and got everything ready to print:



Then I took a deep breath, pulled the squeegee down a few times, carefully took the screen off the fabric and voilà!



Oh, the moment when you uncover a great print! :-)



I made a few more prints and then had to clean the screen - and that was the end of my beautiful stencil...

I chose the best of the prints, sandwiched it and quilted it with a black Aurifil thread along the lines, letting them continue in the border (using the original photo as an example). I used a facing finish for the edges of a quilt and attached a sleeve rightaway. Usually it takes me a while to get to that, but I really wanted to put this quilt up the wall!



I think this is my best screen printed image ever and am very proud of it! I uploaded it to Spoonflower where it is now for sale in a few different colourways (a regular black-and-white one and two pop-art zebras!).

The quilt measures 60 x 43 cm (23.5 x 17 inch). There was no size requirement for the challenge and I wanted the quilt to be large enough to enter it in my guild's quilt show in October. Afterwards it may go to my husband's office for he absolutely loves it! :-)



PS The title popped into my head while I was quilting this piece and I thought it fitted the bill...

3 comments:

Petra said...

Beautifull Linda, The pass partout of fabric is also a very good idea. And it is indeed a 'male-quilt'. You understand what i main. Groetjes Petra

Unknown said...

Beautiful screen print Linda! I love it. My largest screen is A4 - I think I need to get and A3.

You are so inspirational!

Hugz

Jantine said...

You have every right to be proud of it, it is amazing!!! I love it!