Monday 1 August 2016

Colourful Pencils



I am very happy to present my latest quilt, Colourful Pencils!



Last year in November I discovered this original design from Harper and Charlie, a Melbourne-based graphic artist and illustrator (they are on Etsy as well, and have a fabulous Luna Park print). My first thought was that it would make a great pachwork quilt! I contacted them to ask their permission to make a quilt inspired by this design, and luckily they said yes!



I bought a rainbow roll-up with 18 5'' strips from Polka Dot Tea Fabrics:



After piecing the top using a neutral 50wt Aurifil thread (no. 2314), I heavily quilted it with lots of different 40wt Aurifil threads, in colours matching the fabrics. I love the effect on the quilt:



I have used Aurifil for quite a few years now (and built up quite a stash!) and am really happy with these threads. The colours are gorgeous, with a beautiful shine, the thread is very smooth, there's hardly any lint so they are a pleasure to sew with.
For the binding I used a lovely striped fabric:



The backing is the famous Britten Nummer fabric from Ikea, that I've had waiting in my fabric cupboard for more than a year:



The boys love the 3D effect of the quilt, and now that his Fly Away quilt is off to America, Colourful Pencils has taken its spot on the wall in Hugo's room:



I have written up the pattern for this quilt - it's quite simple, just squares, half-square triangles and appliquéd ovals. If you want to make your own version of the Colourful Pencils you can find it in my Etsy pattern store.

3 comments:

jacq said...

ik vind hem echt heel erg leuk! patroon word nu geprint, kon het niet laten.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Love it Linda. Also cannot wait to see your quilt in SF exhibition.

chris said...

Really lovely,Linda, another great design!