Thursday 15 September 2016

New pattern: Lone Star Baby Quilt, made with half-square triangles



If you have been following this blog for a while, you know that I love Lone Star quilts, and that I have made quite a few.  Many people admire them, but I often hear that they wouldn't dream of making one - too hard, with the diamond shapes and inset seams.
As a quilter who thought so myself for many years I can relate to that - however, there is a way to make a Lone Star quilt and avoid all those issues: by using half-square triangles (HSTs).



This Lone Star baby quilt measures 40'' (100 cm) square and it is made up of squares, rectangles and half-square triangles. It is pieced and quilted with white Aurifil 40wt thread. I quilted it 'in the ditch', with the lines continuing in the white bakground fabric.



For the back I used the same aqua fabric that was used in the top, and it shows the quilting really well:





I had a ball taking the quilt out for a photo shoot!



The pattern for this quilt is now available on Etsy. I have just started working with Adobe Illustrator and am quite proud of the diagrams I managed to create!



The pattern is very suitable for beginning quilters. I have included instructions on how to make multiple HSTs at once - quick and easy!

No comments: