Friday 25 May 2012

Burlap... quilt?



If you have been following my blog in the last few months you will have noticed that I am slightly obsessed with burlap at the moment. After buying some coffee sacks at Reverse Garbage here in Brisbane I have been making pillows, postcards, ACEO, bookmarks, coasters and a bookcover with it. I have used a strip of burlap in my Indonesia quilt - but what about making a quilt out of nothing but burlap?? The current challenge theme at Art Quilts Around the World is monochrome, so it would fit in very well!



I cut strips roughly 3 inch wide from the four sacks I have here - they all have a different texture; some are very loose, others quite tightly woven.



Because burlap frays terribly I used a zigzag stitch instead of a straight stitch to piece the strips together.



This is the result so far - to be continued!



I love burlap and its texture - but working with it does leave a terrible mess!



I also made two new bookmarks to add to my Blue Jacaranda shop. Have to make one for myself as I really like them!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Linda, I just saw your Dutch houses art card on the front page of Etsy!!