Friday 27 October 2017

Crochet-covered stone



A few years ago I wanted to learn to crochet so I could make a crochet-covered stone. A colleague at the time taught me the basics, but I didn't really get it, and in the end I bought a lovely stone from Monicaj on Etsy. I still have it, it's gorgeous. But now of course I finally have the skills to make a crochet-covered stone myself!

I thought I'd start with a large one and some 8ply cotton (left over from the Sea Colours blanket). I asked my youngest son to find me one on the local beach, and he brought this flat, almost hand-sized stone back. Here is a photo with an apple for size:



I used this free Ravelry pattern (in Dutch, but it's also available in English) and made the eye cover. I love the result! I'll ask my son to find some smaller stones and try to make covers with a thinner thread.

I think I'll use this stone as a paperweight. It will be a lovely memory of Collaroy Beach when we are back in Queensland next year.

Yes, you read that correctly - we are moving back to Queensland! Not to Brisbane, but to the Gold Coast, where my husband has accepted a job at Griffith University. We will move in the first week of January 2018. I am very happy - Sydney is a beautiful city, but I do not find it very livable. One of our sons shares my feelings and is also very happy to go back to Queensland; the other two have mixed feelings - they will miss their friends here, but are glad they'll be much closer to their friends in Brisbane (the Gold Coast is about an hour's drive from Brisbane).

I am not looking forward to moving house again (the 4th time in less than 2.5 years...), but it looks like this time all the packing and unpacking will be done for us, which definitely makes it easier! And on the Gold Coast we'll have a lot more house for our money - that's also something to look forward to!

No comments: