Friday 26 December 2014

Thinking of Holland 2 - Haamstede



A few months ago a Dutch friend who lives in Sydney asked if I could make a wall hanging for her husband. She had seen my Thinking of Holland quilt and wanted to know if I could do a piece featuring the lighthouse of Haamstede, a place in Holland where her husband has spent many happy days.



I have never visited Haamstede, but I was familiar with the lighthouse, because it used to be on the 250 guilders note, before Holland switched to euros (not that I had that note in my wallet very often...).



I started by making the lighthouse, and then (during the retreat last month) auditioned fabrics for the background - the sky, the sea, the dunes...



After piecing the background together I was ready to quilt the piece, using mainly my favourite Aurifil threads:



I used different quilting patterns for the different layers. I really like the sea and the sky:



This is the back of the quilt:



I am planning a third Thinking of Holland quilt - featuring the Martini Tower in my beloved city of Groningen :-)

No comments: