Thursday 2 March 2017

Sydney Temperature Scarf



I'm a little bit obsessed with knitting at the moment and keep surfing Ravelry, looking for interesting patterns. One thing that caught my eye the other day was the Temperature Scarf. The original designer, as far as I can tell, was Kristen Cooper, back in 2013, but many knitters and crocheters have taken the idea and run with it, making scarfs, cowls, throws, blankets and pillows.



The concept really appeals to me and I have decided to do a Sydney Temperature Scarf for 2017 with - very appropriately -  '4 seasons' yarn (pure wool 8ply). Using the Australian Bureau of Meteorology data (highest daily temperature recorded in Terrey Hills, our nearest weather station) and designating a colour for every 5-degree interval between 10 and 40 degrees Celsius, I have so far finished the month of January:



As you can see it was a pretty hot month - there was one day above 40 degrees Celsius  (104 Fahrenheit - burgundy), and quite a few in the 35-40 interval (rust). February was also hot, but also had the first day of the year when the maximum temperature didn't reach 20 degrees (yellow).

Gradually there will be more yellow and cream in the scarf - I don't expect I will have to use the white yarn (Sydney has rather mild winters) , but who knows...

Not sure yet if, once I've caught up to the present day, I will knit 2 rows of garter stitch daily or do a week or a month at a time. We'll see. I'll show my progress here from time to time.

No comments: