Saturday 28 May 2016

Melbourne!



Melbourne was fabulous, as always! Hugo struggled on his first day of competition but did very well on the second, with the fifth highest score on pommel of the day. He was very happy, as was his coach.



I had originally booked a room in Richmond, but the host cancelled a few days before my arrival because of plumbing problems. Luckily I found another room, in East Melbourne - even closer to the HiSense Arena! The room was clean, large, with a good bed, a beautiful handmade rug and a very friendly cat, Emmett. What more can you ask for?



Walking through East Melbourne I spotted some lovely details, such as this gorgeous art deco window:



And these beautiful wrought iron balcony railings:



On Tuesday, my gymnastics-free day, I took the train to Brighton to photograph the famous bathing boxes (more photos on my photo blog here):



And then travelled back to the City to photograph the street art. Loved this mural - very appealing to a quilter! (more photos here on the photo blog)



Last year when I blogged about my Melbourne trip, Meg left a comment and suggested I visit L'uccello on Swanston Street. So I did!



It is the most delightful fabric shop - thanks for the tip, Meg! I was very restrained and only bought one fat quarter :-).



On Thursday I took Hugo out for a couple of hours. Sadly it was a cold and rainy day, so we didn't go to St Kilda, but stayed in the City and visited ACMI (the Australian Centre for the Moving Image) instead, which we both loved.
I flew back to Brisbane on Thursday night and Hugo came back with the team on Friday afternoon. This vintage Dick Bruna card from the 1970s was waiting for him - I discovered it a while ago in a Dutch Etsy shop and of course I had to snap it up!



And now life is back to normal. I have a few ideas for (art) quilts inspired by this trip, so stay tuned!

No comments: