Thursday 12 April 2012

Etsy Shop Feature: Liquid Silver Designs


Ocean Waves Pendant

Today in my Etsy shop series I am featuring Liquid Silver Designs. I love their beautiful and original jewellery! Lucy kindly answered some questions I asked about her and her shop:

Who is behind Liquid Silver Designs?

My name is Lucy. I'm a metal clay artist living in the beautiful county of Suffolk in the UK. I started Liquid Silver Designs at the beginning of of the year in order to share my passion for creating beautiful everyday jewellery with the rest of the world.

My love for metal clay started when my mum bought me some craft books. Among them was one about metal clay and I discovered what seemed to be some form of modern alchemy! (in fact the science behind it is quite simple) I began by making pieces for myself and family.

When a few friends started asking for custom pieces, I started looking around at other jewellery designers. What I discovered was that although the silver jewellery I found was very beautiful, they were often statement pieces and not affordable everyday pieces I could see myself wearing on a daily basis.

So I created Liquid Silver Designs, supported by my family and friends. You asked me who is behind Liquid Silver?... well it is my wonderful support network! They have given me the help and confidence I needed to jump into the online craft market.


Cutout Heart Earrings

Tell us about your work process

My work process is rarely consistent. Often one idea will change into another, evolving as it takes shape but the basics are always the same.

Anything you can do with clay you can do with metal clay. Firstly pieces are shaped and molded into a rough idea, then refined once the clay has dried.

Each piece is then fired at a high temperature to just below melting point which binds the silver together and brushed sanded and polished by hand.


Lollypop Pendant

Where do you get your ideas from?

I take my ideas for the most part from mother nature. I love the variety of shapes, textures and colour you can find. I will often collect things when I am out and about like twigs, leaves and flowers to name a few.

I also love to garden and I'm very lucky to have a large south facing garden which is lovely in the summer! I grow many plants and trees often just because I love their foliage and flowers and want to replicate them in my work.


Blue and Yellow Polka Dot Bangle

Apart from creating things, what do you do?

My other big passion in life is for herpetology, which is the study of reptiles and amphibians. I particularity love snakes, I find them completely fascinating! I keep several species including Royal Pythons, Boas, Crested Geckos and not forgetting my pride and joy, my albino Burmese Python.

I'm also a member of my local reptile group which holds various events from talks to creature events where members of the public can come along and meet members and their animals. I believe events like this are very important giving people a chance to interact with animals they might ordinarily not come into contact with.


Triple Hearts Pendant

Liquid Silver Designs links:
Etsy
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest

Through the whole of April you get 15% off anything at Liquid Silver Designs using code CFAPR12 at checkout!

No comments: