Friday 7 January 2011

Sketching



I did some sketching today - any idea what the above is supposed to be? My 6-year old thought it was a toothbrush ;-).

I was actually trying to abstract this image:



and quite surprised at how much you can take away and still keep the essence - although that may have been because I knew the image? I tried the same with the gymnast on pommel horse that I depicted in my Balance 2 quilt:





Of course this is the process they use for the pictograms at the Olympics etcetera... I would love to study graphic design! (maybe someday, when I have finished my PhD...)

I have also started on the Sketchbook Challenge for January - the theme is Highly Prized. I will show you some of my drawings soon.

4 comments:

Aart said...

Leuk de hele quiltwereld is aan het schetsen, ik ben ook net begonnen, het mag geen naam hebben, maar daar gaat het niet om. Veel succes!
http://quiltaart.blogspot.com

Lazy KZ said...

I guessed it was a gymnast before I saw the photo. I think it is the perfect amount of abstract to get the point across.

Lynn Cohen said...

Fun to see how you get to your finished creations Linda! I saw it for what it was right away btw.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

As did I !~! You are doing fine; stay the course.