Friday 4 December 2009

Good news!



After the sad posting on Tuesday I have some great news today!!!
I got a letter yesterday... It said:

Dear Linda

We are pleased to inform you that your quilt “MAGnificence” has been selected by our jurors Helen Sanderson, curator/multi-media artist and Dianne Firth, internationally renowned art quilter, to be part of the STATE of the ART quilt 10 touring exhibition. From the 32 entries received, our jurors have selected 25.

STATE of the ART quilt 10 will be on display at the Australasian Quilt Convention, Melbourne April 29- May 2 and the Textile Art Festival, Brisbane June 25 -27, 2010.

YAAAYYYYY!!!!

I explicitly asked if I could put a photo of the quilt on my blog and that was not a problem. So here it is! I really think think this is the best quilt I have made so far. This is the information about the quilt and the artist statement:

Quilt size: 65x76 cm
Materials used: Hand dyed fabric, paint, paintstiks, thread
Techniques used: Screen printing, stencilling with paintstiks, machine and hand quilting
Artist’s statement: My son recently joined a boys' gymnastics club. Watching the senior members of his club at their training inspired me to make this quilt. I have depicted the six events in men's artistic gymnastics (MAG): still rings, floor exercise, pommel horse, parallel bars, vault and high bars, and tried to capture the movement, grace and sheer power of the gymnasts.

Some other good news this week was that the December issue of Down Under Quilts came out, which has my selvedge quilt, some selvedge items and, most importantly, my selvedge bag project in it! Also very exciting. Here are a few photos (click to see them bigger)






















I'm off to work now - but I just had to share this with you!

15 comments:

Dale Anne said...

FABULOUS news on both counts!
CONGRATULATIONS on the art quilt acceptance....it looks GREAT!

geni said...

Congratulations Linda!
That is fabulous news.
Thank you for sharing a picture of this great looking quilt.

Groetjes!

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

congratulations on your double, the quilt is quite lovely.

Kate said...

Linda - there is absolutely nothing better than to hear that someone you know has had such success - well done!! I bet you are walking on cloud nine - really revel in the feeling and the day...

Anonymous said...

Dear Linda,
Congratulations!! A major show acceptance AND publication!!!

Way to go, girl,

Linda Laird
San Diego, CA

Curly said...

Congratulations - you and your work are truely inspirational.

Annette De Jong

Chris Daly said...

Linda this is marvelous news! Congratulations to you! Chris

A3jana said...

Oh Linda, what a good and exiting news!! Good for you! Your so short to quilting and already reached this level!
It is beautiful what you make.
love and greetings, Adrie

Margeeth said...

Congratulations Linda, that quilt is indeed magnificent!

Corryna said...

Gefelilicteerd. Dat is goed nieuws. En wat zul je trots zijn. Leuk hoor!

Corryna

inge said...

wat een schitterende quilt! je bent terecht uitgekozen!

Melinda said...

Congratulations on your acceptance. It is a wonderful quilt. Thank you for showing your wonderful selvage projects. I also love selvage projects. I plan on making a selvage bag and will be using yours for inspiration.

Marie-Thérèse said...

Hartstikke goed, Linda. Gefeliciteerd!

Jantine said...

This is very exciting news, your quilt deserves it! I am sorry though I won't be able to drop by....

Thea said...

Congratulations on the quilt and I love the selvedge bags. I have just blogged about you too. x