Saturday 19 July 2008

Traditional and contemporary

On July 7th our first niece, Saskia (the daughter of DH's sister), was born in The Netherlands. Of course she has to have a quilt! So today I went to The Quilter's Corner in Keperra and bought some lovely fabric - what a joy to finally make a quilt for a girl! :-)

I've decide to make a Trip Around the World quilt (very appropriate, as the quilt will be made in Australia for a little girl born in The Netherlands, who will live in Croatia with her Dutch mother and English father, who met each other when they were both living in Georgia!). When I was working on the log cabin quilt, I thought that that would be the last traditional quilt I would make. I had a lot of fun making the jacaranda quilt, but thinking about the baby quilt, I found myself drawn to the traditional patterns again. Well, it will be nice to alternate traditional and contemporary quilts!

Next week is another 2QAQ's meeting, I'm looking forward to that. I have an idea for a quilt for their juried art quilt exhibition in 2009, and I thought I'd buy fabric for that as well today, but of course I couldn't find what I had in mind. I think I may need to make it myself, by dyeing or painting or... I'll think about it when I am piecing the babyquilt!

And to end with some photos: last month I participated in a postcard swap called 'Silver & Gold'. Here's a pic of the postcards I received:



And these are the ones I made:



No comments: